Dallas is one of the best places to spend holidays with kids as here you will find an entertainment to your taste. It was in Texas that a network of Six Flags amusement parks was born. Between Dallas and Fort Worth there are two amusement parks of this worldwide network: Over Texas and Hurricane Harbor. Here there are more than 100 attractions, including those with the famous roller coaster. For the youngest guests there are a lot of things to do in the Looney Tunes. Fans of extreme recreation shouldn’t pass Zero Gravity Park, where you can jump on bungee, trampolines and so on.
Entertainment for children in Dallas can be found in Glow In The Park, which specializes in sound and light shows. One of the best amusement parks in Dallas is Fair Park, which has nine museums and a huge Ferris wheel. Interested and want to know more details about interesting things to do in Dallas with kids? Then learn more about exciting places to visit.
- Thing to do number 1: Go to the Fair Park
- Thing to do number 2: Visit the Southern Methodological University
- Thing to do number 3: Look at the endangered animals in the Dallas World Aquarium
- Thing to do number 4: Watch football at the stadium the Cotton Bowl
- Thing to do number 5: Watch the basketball game in the American Airlines Center
- Thing to do number 6: Admire nature in the Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden
- Thing to do number 7: Go to the Texas Cinema
- Thing to do number 8: Enjoy theater performances at the Majestic Theater
- Thing to do number 9: Go to the Dallas Zoo
- Thing to do number 10: Enjoy the entertainment for the whole family in the park Six Flags over Texas
Fair Park is a major cultural and entertainment complex in Dallas, which is recognized as a National Historic Landmark. The complex is considered one of the main attractions of America and is one of the most beautiful places in the country.
The park was opened in 1936. On its territory, the largest collection of 30s architecture in the Art Deco style has been preserved. Most of the objects were built here for the World Exhibition in 1936. Here there are 9 museums, a concert hall and the largest in North America Ferris wheel. On an area of more than 1 square. km you will find luxurious gardens and amazing fountains. The park is often a venue for:
- festivals and sports.
The most visited of all buildings of Fair Park is the tower Texas Summit, opened in 2013. The tower is 150 meters high, and it was created solely for review purposes. At the base of the tower, museum expositions are sometimes opened, dedicated to the exhibition in 1936 and the state fair. In Fair Park on a regular basis there are several notable city events. First of all, this is, of course, the Texas State Fair, the largest state fair in the US, which has been held since 1886, opening on the last Friday of September and continuing until the third Sunday in October. In addition, in April the Earth Day is held here, and on the first weekend of March – the Irish Festival of North Texas. This is a great place for families with kids as nobody will be bored here.
Interesting: More than 7 million guests visit this park annually.
The Southern Methodological University is a private university, opened in Dallas in 1911 with the means of a methodical episcopal church, which belongs to this day. The university is located in the heart of the city.
- About 11,000 students and post-graduate students study there.
- Today it is recognized as an outstanding training and research center.
If you have kids of the teenage age, it is a good idea to visit this place as it is not the usual university.
In 10 libraries of the university there is the world’s largest private collection of research materials, and the world-famous museum Meadows houses one of the best collections of Spanish art outside of Spain.
Interesting: The very building of the university is very beautiful, it is surrounded by a picturesque green park with fountains and avenues, which attracts attention.
Among the many attractions of Dallas the city aquarium called Dallas World Aquarium should be highlighted . In fact, it is a non-profit organization called to rehabilitate the wild nature of the Gulf of Mexico. World Aquarium represents 85,000 gallons of salt water, filled with marine life from around the world. Rare sea dragons, giant mollusks, sea turtles – only a part of the available species. In the outer lagoon you can see penguins.
The adventure in Dallas World Aquarium begins at the top, where the artificial rainforest is located. It has a lot of exotic birds, as well as three-toed sloths. Then you can see the animals that are endangered. Among them there are such as:
- giant river otters,
- Japanese crabs and many others.
Interesting: Of particular interest there is an aquarium itself, which is a home to sharks, rays and fish-saw.
The Cotton Bowl is one of the largest in the National Football League of the United States. Throughout its history, it has been a home arena for many teams, including Dallas Cowboys, Dallas Tornado and Heart of Dallas Bowl. The last acts on it until now.
- The stadium was opened in 1930, the cost of construction amounted to 328 thousand dollars.
- The stadium has an olympic oval shape.
- The stands are placed in two tiers, their total capacity is more than 92 thousand spectators.
Interesting: A special event for the stadium was the match of the World Cup in 1994, held in the United States. Then in this arena 6 matches were held.
The American Airlines Center is a modern multifunctional stadium, one of the newest in the US, home to the Dallas Mavericks basketball team and the Dallas Stars hockey.
- The American Airlines Center was opened in 2001.
- The decision to build a new arena was made after the obsolescence of the previous one – the “Arena Reunion”. It was decided to erect a huge structure that would perform many functions and serve the city.
- The construction of the new arena was allocated 420 million dollars.
Despite its size, it received a relatively small capacity – about 21 thousand spectators during the conduct of basketball matches and a little more than 18 thousand during hockey competitions.
Interesting: In addition to the NHL and NBA championships, the American Airlines Stadium accepts many other sporting events. Also, there are various music concerts and other events.
The Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden is one of the most beautiful sights of the city. It opened its doors for the first visitors in 1984. Every year thousands of tourists from all over the world come here to admire the amazingly picturesque gardens. The climate of Dallas allows flowers to please their bright colors of visitors all year round.
On 66 acres of the garden, a collection of over 2800 unique flowers, trees and shrubs is housed. Arboretum is a complex of gardens, multi-level fountains and cozy arbors.
The garden is often used for:
- various exhibitions,
- and festivals.
The Arboretum and the Botanical Garden are 66 hectares of gardens and groves that will impress the whole family. There are open air concerts, festivals and educational events that will be interesting for everyone.
Interesting: It is also often held wedding ceremonies. On the territory of the park there is a restaurant where you can relax after a fascinating walk.
The Texas Cinema is one of the significant attractions of Dallas, and is listed in the National Register of Historic Monuments of the United States. This important historical object, despite the difficult fate, pleases its guests up to this day.
- Theater “Texas” was opened in 1931, and was considered the largest suburban cinema in Dallas.
- It was the first cinema in the city, where the air conditioner appeared and many other luxury goods at the time.
- The theater acquired historical fame as the place of capture of a suspect in the assassination of President John F. Kennedy Lee Harvey Oswald. Here, the chair on which he was found was preserved. Today it is marked by a gold inscription.
Visiting this place with older kids will provide a great chance to gain some new knowledge. During its existence, the theater has had both good and bad times. In 2002, they started to restore the theater, its revival was almost from the ruins.
Interesting: Today, here, as before, there are film screenings and various cultural events are held.
The Majestic Theater is the center for performing arts, located in the heart of Dallas. It was founded in 1921. Majestic was the greatest theater, a place, where concerts, film screenings and other cultural events of the city also took place. In 1973, the last film was shown here and the theater stopped its work. However, in 1976 the building of the theater was subject to major repairs, and, after 7 years, the theater again opened its doors to the audience.
The building was returned to its original appearance:
- the original Corinthian columns, balustrades, auditorium were renovated,
- the orchestra pit of the theater was enlarged,
- elements of the interior were decorated with gold leaf.
Today the theater hall is designed for 1704 people. Here, as well as many years ago, you can see theatrical productions, concerts, and also the hall is often used for competitions. This is one of the most elegant historical places in the city. A great chance to educate kids is to take them to the great theater.
Interesting: This magnificent cultural site is honored to be entered in the National Register of Historic Places of the United States.
You are invited to visit the zoo, which is located in the US, Dallas, South Thornton Road. Excursion at the zoo will be interesting not only to children, but also to adults, especially animal lovers. The guides of the zoo will be happy to give you an excursion, tell the history of the zoo, as well as share some useful information about animals: what they eat, which distinctive features they have, etc.
This place is perfect for parents who prefer a more relaxing holiday with children in Dallas. In the local zoo you will find more than 400 species of animals, which are grouped in three thematic parts:
- savanna giants,
- wild Africa
- and the northern part.
Among them, 80 are African, including anteaters and tapirs, and at the entrance to the zoo guests are greeted by a giraffe.
Interesting: Here you will get a lot of positive emotions, because you will get acquainted with the most unusual, interesting, beautiful animals of the country and the planet.
Thing to do number 10: Enjoy the entertainment for the whole family in the park Six Flags over Texas
This very popular entertainment complex is an excellent place for a family vacation. The park is dedicated to the history of the United States of America, so there are several thematic zones in its territory that are characteristic of this or that American era, as well as several extreme attractions, a water park, children’s carousels and numerous cafes, restaurants and souvenir shops.
Most exciting attractions here:
- One of the most extreme entertainment is a trip on a steep roller coaster called the “Texas giant.” This attraction was built in 1990, and at the time of opening it was considered to be the highest roller coaster, speeding up to 105 km / h. In 2011, there was an expensive reconstruction of this attraction, and today, the updated “Texas giant” recharges adrenaline visitors to the park.
- The latest novelty Six Flags Over Texas is the world’s highest carousel called “SkyScreamer”. This attraction is created by the type of a conventional chain carousel with 20 seats, with one small exception, passengers are frenzied in a circle, at the height of a 40-story skyscraper, at a speed of 60 km / h. From here visitors can see not only the neighborhood of the park, but also the nearby cities of Dallas and Fort Worth. The trip on this highest carousel is frightening even for experienced and brave guests because the sensation is felt by obsessive thoughts about the fortress of rotating chains, although in reality “SkyScreamer” passed all the tests, therefore it is absolutely reliable and safe.
In the park there are a few other similar attractions, however, all of them are much inferior in terms of the degree of extremism.
For the visitors of the younger group there are all kinds of playgrounds and rooms, children’s carousel, autodrome, inflatable slides and many other entertainments that will surely please the children.
Interesting: Six Flags Over Texas operates daily throughout the year. The cost of visiting an adult visitor is $ 35, for children from the age of 2 -30 $.