I came here in 1989 with my family, with some hope of seeing turtles, but we got the wrong season for turtles which happened to also be the right season for being stung by jellyfish. My foot turned purple, orange and black, and swelled up in throbbing pain as I ran up and down the beach screaming, burying my foot in sand. At the time I was known for my high pain-threshold and tendency to not seek attention, so my parents figured I must have been pretty bad. It turned out that everything I was doing was making it worse, but we eventually got to a doctor who gave me some antihistamines and it was alright. After being laughed at by some locals who were a bit confused about what all the fuss was about.
Despite that, I remember this was a lovely place. Swimming in the water, relaxing by palm trees, nice people. I would still go back here if I got the chance.
Now when I travel I take antihistamines with me (also after the same thing happened to my sister in panama a few years ago, and she was treated by a vet at the sloth refuge).over 7 years ago