Lairmont Manor is recognized on the National Registry of Historical Sites and is a member of the local Historical Society.
In 1913 Charles Xavier Larabee, the founder of the Fairhaven Land Company and the owner of the famous Fairhaven Hotel, began formulating a plan to build one of the most grand and prestigious mansions in the Northwest. Larabee’s vision entailed a state of the art Italian Renaissance structure surrounded by acres of stately trees and manicured gardens. However, Mr. Larabee passed away before its completion leaving his legacy in the hands of his wife, Frances who continued on with the construction. The estate was completed in 1916 and became the home to Frances and her four children.
In 1940, Frances sold the property to the Sisters of St. Joseph who formed Mount Saint Mary’s Novitiate& Provincial House. At the time, Mount Saint Mary’s provided rooms for hospital patients, operated as a school of nursing, and was the training facility for young women who wished to become sisters. The facility was also operated as an extension of Seattle University.
In 1967 the Douglas family purchased the property from the sisters and formed the Lairmont Manor Trusteeship and Foundation. This is a non profit corporation which returns all proceeds to historical preservation as well as local education and cultural events. The name “Lairmont” is a derivative of Larabee and Mount Saint Mary’s.
This historic home, located in Old Fairhaven, offers an ideal location for weddings, receptions, social events, concerts & recitals, business meetings and seminars. Small groups of 10 and large receptions of 200 will be enchanted with the parquet hardwood floors, grand staircase, french windows, elegant stonework and beautifully manicured lawns and gardens. The Manor is conveniently close to the wonderful shops and restaurants found in Bellingham’s historic Fairhaven district.over 7 years ago